Fall Academy “Challenging Inequality (II)” at the University of Konstanz
For the second time, the Fall Academy took place at the University Konstanz, 4 to 6 October 2023.
News from Nov 14, 2023
More than 50 people from partner institutions and other universities had the opportunity to discuss, share and deepen their knowledge about political inequality from a sociological, economic, and political science perspective.
The event was part of a broad cooperation between several Clusters and Universities:
- the Cluster of Excellence "Contestations of the Liberal Script (SCRIPTS)" hosted at the Freie Universität Berlin
- the Cluster of Excellence "The Politics of Inequality" at the University of Konstanz
- the PhD Programme "The Political Economy of Inequality" at the University of Duisburg-Essen
- the URPP Equal Opportunities at the University of Zurich
- the Amsterdam Center for Inequality Studies (AMCIS) and the Platform for Inequality Research (PIREAU) at Aarhus University
There were 11 panel discussions with 2-3 papers each, accompanied by three inspiring keynote lectures:
- Silja Häusermann from the University of Zurich gave the keynote lecture entitled "Why is it so hard for governments to moderate political backlash to structural change?"
- Miriam Rehm from the University of Duisburg-Essen talked about "Income and wealth inequality in post-Keynesian economics" in her keynote lecture
- Kim Mannemar Sønderskov from the University of Aarhus delivered the keynote lecture titled "Local economic inequality and depression: Evidence from more than
two decades of longitudinal individual-level data."
Furthermore, the Fall Academy offered the opportunity for participants to engage with an artistic approach to inequality through a workshop at the "Into the Deep" exhibition at Zeppelin Museum in Friedrichshafen. This exhibition explored the theme of "Mining" in both literal and figurative senses, shedding light on the effects of raw material extraction on people and the environment, as well as the resistance and activism that it engenders.