Internal Workshop | "Defenders of the Motherland" - Gender, Borders, Memory
This is an internal workshop in form of a hybrid event in cooperation with the Humboldt Lab at Humboldt Forum Berlin. Insight the building, the 2G+ rule applies (vaccinated or recovered and tested).
The workshop, organised by the project Gender, Borders, Memory of the RU Borders, brings together experts in the field of gender studies and Catalan nationalism from the historical studies and the social sciences. We want to kick-start a dialogue about the possibilities of approaching the Catalan political situation through the category of gender.
We will also present our working paper “Ni masclisme, ni inclusio”?—Gendered Language and Gendered Debates around the Catalan National Anthem, which deals with the Catalan anthem “Els Segadors”.
Programme and Speakers
- 9.00 Welcome
Prof. Gülay Çağlar & Prof. Jessica Gienow-Hecht
- 9.30 – 10.30 Opening Talk “Gendered Images in Els Segadors in Catalonia’s Past and Today”
Tobias Klee & Johanna Heß with comments from Dr. Oliver Lauenstein
- 11.00 – 13.00 Panel 1: The Impotence of 1898 and the Rise of Catalonia
Dr. Gemma Torres Delgado (virtually) & Prof. em. Enric Ucelay Da Cal (virtually)
- 14.15 – 15.45 Artistic Intermezzo + Input
Magalí Sare and Manel Fortià
- 16.00 – 18.00 Panel 2: Segadors and Segadores—Memory and Countermemory in the Catalan Independence Movement
Dr. Maria Rodó-Zárate & Dr. Florian Grafl (virtually)
- 18.00 – 18.30 Closing Remarks/Plenary Discussion
For the full programme, see the PDF below.